Pedro Rodriguez


PhD Candidate in
Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Natural Language Processing

AllenNLP 1.0 Migration

AI2 recently released version 1.0 of its excellent AllenNLP library. The goal of this (living) blog post is to list code and configuration changes I've made in my own code to migrate from 0.9.0 to 1.0. While I was writing this, I also found that the developers added a more exhaustive migration guide in the 1.0 release notes so be sure to check that too; thus my focus is how I changed my code. At least in the first iteration of this blog post, most of the changes come from updating some FEVER baselines I've written at github.com/entilzha/fever.

Configuration Changes

In the jsonnet configuration file, it seems like iterator has been replaced by data_loader and its simpler to define the bucket sampler. Additionally, num_serialized_models_to_keep has moved out of the trainer, but more importantly now has a default value of 2 instead of the much higher number. I'm ok with keeping 2 models around over the much larger number in the prior version of allennlp.

Here is my configuration file before:

function(lr=0.0001) {
  dataset_reader: {
    type: 'fever',
  },
  train_data_path: 'data/train.jsonl',
  validation_data_path: 'data/shared_task_dev.jsonl',
  model: {
    type: 'claim_only',
    dropout: 0.25,
    pool: 'mean',
  },
  iterator: {
    type: 'bucket',
    sorting_keys: [['text', 'num_tokens']],
    batch_size: 32,
  },
  trainer: {
    optimizer: {
      type: 'adam',
      lr: lr,
    },
    validation_metric: '+accuracy',
    num_serialized_models_to_keep: 1,
    num_epochs: 50,
    patience: 2,
    cuda_device: 0,
  },
}

And after

local transformer = "roberta-base";

function(lr=0.0001) {
  dataset_reader: {
    type: 'fever',
    transformer: transformer
  },
  train_data_path: 'data/train.jsonl',
  validation_data_path: 'data/shared_task_dev.jsonl',
  model: {
    type: 'claim_only',
    dropout: 0.5,
    pool: 'cls',
    transformer: transformer
  },
  data_loader: {
    batch_sampler: {
      type: 'bucket',
      sorting_keys: ['claim_tokens'],
      batch_size: 32
    },
  },
  trainer: {
    optimizer: {
      type: 'adam',
      lr: lr,
    },
    validation_metric: '+accuracy',
    num_epochs: 50,
    patience: 1,
    cuda_device: 0,
  },
}

Dataset Changes

In dataset readers, the main changes I encountered were updating transformer tokenizers/indexers. In my prior code, I manually defined start_tokens and end_tokens since I noticed that the [CLS] and other special tokens were being used twice.

For reference, this was my code before and after the changes

Here is a shortlist of changes to make:

  • Imports: allennlp.data.token_indexers.wordpiece_indexer.PretrainedBertIndexer to allennlp.data.token_indexers.PretrainedTransformerIndexer
  • In the class: {'text': PretrainedBertIndexer(transformer)} to {"text": PretrainedTransformerIndexer(transformer)}
  • In the class: PretrainedTransformerTokenizer('bert-base-uncased', do_lowercase=True, start_tokens=[], end_tokens=[]) to PretrainedTransformerTokenizer(transformer)

Model Changes

The primary model changes were in how to define and use transformer models. For reference, this is what my code looked like before. The 1.0 version changes some names around and looks like this

Here is a shortlist of changes to make:

  • Imports: allennlp.modules.token_embedders.bert_token_embedder.PretrainedBertEmbedder to allennlp.modules.token_embedders.pretrained_transformer_embedder.PretrainedTransformerEmbedder
  • When using in a class: PretrainedBertEmbedder(transformer_name) to PretrainedTransformerEmbedder(transformer_name)

Summary

That's all I've got so far since it appears many changes are non-user facing. In the next weeks, I'm also looking forward to using new features like native pytorch distributed training to speed up my experiments!


Comments